Sunday, July 28, 2013

Stuff I'm Generally Loving This Weekend: Take iii

Well, you guys. I am writing this only two days after having my wizdum teefs removed. Yes, I have chipmunk cheeks and I've spent the last few days in a pair of fuzzy socks and polka-dotted pajamas and an oversized t-shirt, and believe me: I don't look like someone you should take any fashion advice from, which, ironically enough, is the bulk of this post. For some reason, lying on the couch for several days has renewed my passion for fashion (I'm sorry, so cliche, I had to). The point is -- Welcome to Stuff I'm Generally Loving This Weekend! Take 3!

Wearin' Clothes: 


J. Crew

Okay, if I had to turn in my entire closet and pick one store to completely renew my wardrobe, I'm pretty sure I'd choose J. Crew. I was there earlier this week (or maybe last week?) and I spent $111.11 which obviously makes all the clothes I got completely lucky, but even more awesome, guess what all I got for $111.11? I'll tell you: A pair of heels, a skirt, a blouse, and a sweater. Because sales! Because awesome! Also (and pay attention here because this is relevant to many of you) because J. Crew warehouse or outlet stores or whatever the J. Crew at Traverse Mountain is gives 15% off the entire purchase to college students! Woohoo! 

They're just so fabulous. Look! Look at all these beautiful things I just found on their website to make this post more aesthetically pleasing!





I just feel so classy in J. Crew. They make me feel kind of like I am going to take over the world or at least get a really good internship, you know? Plus I just feel pretty in J. Crew style, like, maybe I won't take over the world, but I'll definitely be the cutest girl waiting for lunch.

Readin' Books: So the last two times I've given you books I've been reading like, sort of recently, or books I just love or whatever, but this time I'm giving you a book I'm actually reading this exact weekend!


Eat the City: A Tale of the Fishers, Foragers, Butchers, Farmers, Poultry Minders, Sugar Refiners, Cane Cutters, Beekeepers, Winemakers, and Brewers who Built New York by Robin Shulman


So turns out I'm actually required to read this before I ship out to New York on account of it being the topic for the freshman dialogue when I get there. The good news: It's really interesting. I mean, granted, I'm obsessed with New York City and everything about it, but this is good stuff! Shulman talks about food as culture, history, economics, art -- everything. I'm not every far into it, so you guys should pick it up and read it with me and then we can gab all about it.

Listenin' to Music: So I don't know how many of you have XM radio, but let me tell you, you should, because of a little thing called XM channel 36 Altnation. This is where I discover most of the music I listen to, honestly, because it's just what I listen to whenever I'm in the car, plus my dad and my sister and I all have sort of similar music tastes, so we all agree that this is the best station in the history of ever.

If you do not, unfortunately, have Altnation at your immediate disposal, here are some of my recent Altnation favorites:

1.) "Harlem" by New Politics

This song is too catchy for its own good, and it's really good, like, walking through school/down the sidewalk music.

2.) "Land of Gathering" by The Ceremonies

I can't get enough of this song. It has such a cool sort of '80's vibe and I want to listen to it forever and ever.

3.) "Miracle Mile" by Cold War Kids


These guys never disappoint. I always get this song stuck in my head (the "come up for air, come up for air, come up" part) but it's not annoying to have stuck in your head because it's a reeeeally good song.

4.) "Next Year" by Two Door Cinema Club


I LOVE THIS SONG. It's sort of sad and also hopeful at the same time and I just really love his voice and I can't stop listening to it. It's also really good acoustic (I'll show you that, too):

 

Something New: This section is looking like it will basically house my latest obsession, and if that's the direction we're heading with this one then what I want to talk about this weekend is right on par.

Polyvore

So I've spent a fair amount of time making collages this week. Look at these!












Hello! Everything in my life is fun! So basically you can make sets and like items and follow other people and see the collages they make and what stuff they love and it's too good to be true, basically. You just have this enormous online closet of clothes and shoes and makeup and accessories and little cutesy things you can add to your collages and it's my favorite thing in the world.

Go to Polyvore.com or download the app. Follow me (@addysue) and also follow Avery (@averyink) and make collages and get inspired to wear cool clothes and makeup and also feel very, very poor, because another awesome thing about Polyvore is that it's an online shopping database, so everything you find on there is available for purchase and you just click on it and get excited and if you're really rich or really spoiled, you can buy the stuff you love! Mostly, though, you'll probably just end up like me and Avery where we spent a lot of time complaining to each other about things like $2,000 leather leggings and $800 necklaces that we have fallen in love with.

Something Inspiring: So ever since I first saw The Devil Wears Prada and started religiously reading VOGUE magazine, I've had this sort of secret, underlying desire to be a fashion journalist. I remember admitting this to someone once and he straight up said to me, "You'd never make it. Everyone wants to be a fashion journalist and there are people more qualified than you," which, looking back, is a completely ridiculous comment on account of the fact that I was 16, and I wasn't trying to be a fashion journalist, like, right that exact second, but I'd get a degree first and whatever, but the point is, that's still something I want. And sometimes I get really passionate about that again for a minute, and I'm in one of those phases, except this time, it doesn't feel as much like a phase. I'm moving to New York City in 25 days and my life is starting to get real, you guys.

The point is, this movie changed my life (and look! Gifs! Meryl gifs!!):













The point is, this movie changed my life. And if it hasn't changed yours yet, go watch it again, because it should. This is a movie about pursuing dreams and making unexpected friends and taking your destiny in your own hands and it talks about fashion in a new, honest way, and that's exciting for me, and it should be exciting for you, too.

Let me leave you with that: Pursue your dreams, make unexpected friends, take your destiny in your own hands.

                                       

So, I hope you've all had a very happy week(end). Again, thank you again for your kind reception to this blogging tradition. I love hearing what you have to say. I'm sending hugs to all of you via the internet right now. What are you wearing and reading and listening to and just generally loving this weekend?

You're all so lovely and sweet and pretty and you make so me happy.

"Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again." -Buddha
All my love,
Addy

1 comment:

Emily said...

love this. love the mia citing in Devil Wears Prada. love you.